I was recently introduced to a fun way to decorate Easter eggs this year ala Mexicana. Cascarones!
Cascarones (or confetti-filled egg) is simple to make and so fun to include as part of your Easter traditions. You see, these eggs don’t just sit in a pretty basket. You use them to crack over someone’s head and show them with beautiful glittery joy.
How to make cascarones
Here’s what you need:
- A dozen empty egg shells (or more!)
- Colorful tissue paper
- Egg dying kit or natural dyes (like turmeric, blueberries and beets)
Here’s what you do:
- Crack the egg at the top to create a very small hole. Gently tap the top of the egg with a butter knife to make a crack. Insert the knife in the crack and peel the top out. You want to remove the top part to leave enough room for your tissue paper.
- Pour the egg yolk into container (because, hello, omelettes?)
- Rinse the shell several times with hot water until it is super clean.
- If you really want to make sure the egg shell is clean, you can use an anti-bacterial soap or spray.
- Let it sit to dry
- Color your eggs!
- Sit to dry
- Fill with confetti
- Cover hole with tissue paper (you will need to cut your sheets smaller)
Place them all in a pretty basket, and get crackin’!