I’ve always been on top of my skincare, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve had to adapt to the changes in my skin. At 42, my goal is to keep my skin hydrated, protected from the sun and moisturized. I work from home most of the time and am on mom mode all of the time so applying makeup is not something I can always indulge in (nor do I feel it’s really necessary during the day) unless there is an event I want to glam up for. I want my skin to look nice all on its own so I can get ready quickly and effortlessly. When I do need to run out, I like to keep my makeup very light and very convenient. The less I clog my pores with makeup, the better.
I have many friends who really do not like makeup at all but are always looking for ways they can brighten up their face without too much fuss. This one is for them. I totally get the thought of not wanting a lot of product on your face, the upkeep throughout the day and not wanting to look “made up.” However, a no makeup look, doesn’t mean pale and bare. It still takes a bit of effort. But with a few simple steps you can touch up a face in no time. Have somewhere to go but never seem to have enough time to do the whole beauty shpeel? Makeup application is not really your thing but you want to give it a go? Here’s what to do:
- Come up with a go-to color palette and keep it handy in a makeup bag separate from all your other products. Is rose your thing? Do you like lilacs? Peach? Beige? For this look, I stuck with pinks and lilacs. It was a my go-to look all summer. But it works great all year long as well.
- Wash and add a primer to your skin. Primers are great because they smoothen out your skin and help minimize the appearance of pores. I used Neutrogena’s Pore Refining Daily Cleanser and toner, and their Healthy Skin Primer.
- Apply a soft neutral eye shadow with a shimmer. Forget all those online eye makeup tutorials you’re inundated with on Instagram. Many of those looks are not conducive to every day life. At least not for mine. They’re pretty and great for reference but if it all feels like too much … Trust me, you will do just fine with a pretty shimmer that will brighten up your eye if you love a simpler look. I used Circa’s eye shadow palette in Visionary.
- Darken your upper lash line with a simple cat eye. For a softer look, I use Chanel’s duo eyeliner and an angle brush. I don’t have lashes, and need this step in all my day looks. I only use false lashes when I’m doing a more glam look.
- Color in your eye brows. During the 90s, I was into the 70s eye brow look – Super tweezed, very thin and colored in with a line (Drew Barrymore, Madonna, Kate Moss). It was great then, but growing them out meant that I lost a lot of my natural shape. I always fill mine in to have a more polished and finished look. I used L’Oreal’s Brow Stylist Sculptor Pencil in Natural Brunette.
- Apply your mascara to your top and bottom lashes. To spruce up your “no makeup” look and brighten your eyes, add small touches like a plum or navy mascara. Clinique has a new line of colored mascaras that I love. They appear dark but under different light, you can see hints of color. I love subtle details like that. I’m wearing Clinique ‘Chubby Lash’ Fattening Mascara in Portly Plum.
- Apply your foundation and concealer. I typically do my eyes first. I find it easier to clean off my face should eye makeup or powder fall onto my cheeks. I wear L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift Blur Foundation and True Match concealer. Concealer is actually a very important piece in this no-makeup look puzzle.
Related: Brighten Tired Eyes
- Use a highlight stick and blush. I am so in love with my Clinique Chubby Stick Sculpting Highlight. It brings out my cheekbones. Highlighting (aka strobing) is the (not so) new anti-contouring technique when it comes to makeup trends. I was never able to get into contouring. I have a square jaw and, now that I’m older, my cheeks sink in a little bit more when I speak. Contouring makes my skin look dirty and manly. So not my thing. Plus, ain’t nobody got time for all that. But strobing? I’m all about it. This is a perfect thing to add to your final look, as it will give you a clean, dewy youthful appearance. For this look, I simply added it to my cheekbones but you can dab a bit on your brow bone and cupid’s bow. My blush is right underneath. I used Urban Decay’s Kinky.
- Apply a lip color and gloss to complete your look. I used L’Oreal’s Colour Riche Le Gloss in Pink.
- Set your look with a powder and done.
It seems like a lot of steps. But I assure you, it’s not. If you put all your products in a makeup bag by your mirror, you will be able to do this look in no time. I know it’s a lot more tempting to just leave the house make-up free (I do that too), but a little TLC for yourself will help give you a nice boost of confidence to conquer the day.
Related: Earth Tone Makeup